Earlier this year, Instagram rolled out a feature that allows nonprofit accounts (and their supporters) to add a “donate” sticker to Stories. Now, Instagram has upped the ante with the introduction of NEW “donate” buttons on Instagram profiles. With end-of-year fundraising about to hit, if you haven’t set up your organizations donate button already – you should!
- To get started you will need to verify that your nonprofit Facebook account is eligible for a Donation Account.
- Visit facebook.com/donate/signup to submit your page for Community Review (this can take 2-3 weeks so don’t wait until the last minute).
- Once approved create your donation account. Please keep in mind you will need:
- A PDF copy of a bank statement from the last 3 months (you will need to upload this as part of the application). Submitting a statement that is older than 3 months will cause a delay in your application being approved.
- The name and date of birth of your organization’s CEO or Executive Director.
- Your organization’s tax ID number (EIN or VAT number), which verifies your charitable tax exemption status.
- Once your Facebook Donation Account is ready to go, you will want to ensure that your Instagram profile is setup as a Business Account.
- If you’re unsure how to do this take a glance at these step-by-step instructions from Instagram.
- Next, you’ll need to enable Instagram Story donation stickers. To do this simply navigate to your nonprofit Facebook page > Publishing Tools > Donation Settings > Check “Allow people to add donation stickers on Instagram Stories”.
- Assuming you’ve completed the above steps, you’re ready to add a “donate” button to your nonprofit Instagram profile. On Instagram go to Settings > Business > Donations > Toggle “Add Donate Button to Profile”.
- It is worth noting that because Facebook owns Instagram, any donations from Instagram will be deposited through your Facebook Donation Account (just like Facebook birthday fundraisers).
While adding a “donate” call-to-action button on your Instagram profile can certainly help make it easier for your supporters to donate to your cause – don’t forget to leverage storytelling to remind your followers WHY you need their support. Remember – empathy sustains charity!